Client: NIKE Market: EMEA – Global Role: Creative Director
The NIKE Membership Ecosystem
Helping Nike develop a new Membership program through a rebranding & redesign of all digital & in-store touch points.
Nike Membership supports athletes* around the world through daily inspiration and information to help everyone stay active, healthy and feel their best.
Approximately 250 million Members are part of the Membership program..
The Membership can be accessed through the digital & in-store ecosystem: Nike.Com, Nike APP, NRC/NTC, Lifecycle Moments, 365, In-store, and Member-gated content/campaigns for example ‘Member Days’.
Once your a member, Members get access to exclusive benefits.
Why a new program?
Currently Nike Membership and its member benefits are being under utilized.
To reach Nikes ambitious growth targets set in 2025, Nike Membership needs to drive more growth & demand.
To enable this Nike Memberships needs to play a more active part in their daily live
Working on Nike Membership
- Joined as a Creative Director to reach Nike’s 2025 growth targets set for Nike Membership
- Overall improving the Membership experience & program
- First hire I recruited 14 FTE to assist me
- Nike Marketing & Creative teams are globally distributed
- 1-week roadmap alignment session every quarter for Leads
- Roadmap alignment on a global level, spanning the entire C-level of EMEA and Nike Global
- Lead driver for the new Nike’s membership design system.
- Key Themes: User research, Strategy, Prototyping, UI design, Design Systems, Wireframing, Flowcharts, Copy, Design Elements, FIGMA Templates
- Built and maintained a new Membership program
- Working agile & cross-departmental including vendors
- Team resourcing & planning
- Roadmap & Backlog
- Stakeholder Management
- Lead strategy, UI, Copy.
- Brand Guardian Membership
- Conduct & Plan usability
- POD-Testing new initiatives
- 1x Creative Director
- 1x Project Manager
- 2x Junior Copywriter (Hybrid)
- 1x Senior Copywriter
- 1x Corporate Designer
- 1x UI/UX Designer
- 1x Senior Designer
- 1x Motion Designer
- 2x Loyalty Experts (Kobie)
- 1x Strategist
(Full case study available HERE. PW Protected, reach out)
Recognizing the complexity of this project, I’ve strategically turned to adopting several frameworks including the ‘Double Diamond Framework’ & agile (kanban) light framework driving content (UI + Copy) production. These frameworks proved to be an excellent fit due to its emphasis and thorough exploration, analysis and iterative refinement depending on what is looked at (FE the member benefits, newsletter, App benefit utilization etc).
After extensive market and user research (in collaboration with W+K using task analysis, usability expert review, jobs-to-be-done analysis, and user research), the development of the marketing strategy and the creation of the new Nike Membership Global brand book (See full case study) I continued by leading the refresh of all the Nike ecosystem touch points + Membership imagery database:
– In-store Signage (Print + Digital)
– Experiential designs flagship stores: Berlin, Paris, London.
– Store Signage flow
- Full Nike Digital Ecosystem redesign and refresh, tailored to the needs of the member for making daily (holistic) progress.
- Increase in growth, demand & retention.
- Retention increase Membership funnel & redesigned UI.
- Decrease churn in onboarding process.
- New Brand book (200+ pages) that drives all marketing content for Nike Marketing, enabling a clear, consistent and tangible way of communicating with its Members across all of the Nike ecosystem.
- Including redesigned FIGMA templates.
- Newsletter with a increased click through rate and opening rates
Refreshing the Nike Membership Ecosystem:
Workflow / design process
1. QUICK CONTENT ITERATION
Using a MIRO Board to prototype flows, strategize, creating a feedback loop with devs, marketing and UI design team to iterate.
2. USER FLOW & WIREFRAMES
Defined the user flow and started wireframing the spreadsheet content. This led to further iterations on the content.
3 . FINALISING DESIGNS
I used the newly created design system for the UI designs. Along the way I updated the system with new patterns.
4. TESTING WITH STAKEHOLDERS
Presented the latest designs through presentations with C-level executives, Member Growth & Marketing and Members to get feedback on our redesigned touch points.
In general I lead and am part of the entire lifecycle experience, from user needs, conceptualization & ideation, Prototyping & Validation, Implementation Guidance to continuous improvement. Having a hands-on approach from the initial user research phase, through conceptualization and validation, to guiding the implementation of designs. Making sure it looks great while being functional and user friendly, aligning with the members expectations and requirements.
Data Driven Decision Making
Based on our first designs
Used Nike’s internal data/IT department to capture user behaviour across the ecosystem.
Included completion rate, drop-offs, churn rate, source, language, gender, country, and age.
Launched designs first and data helped on decision making for further design translations.
Combined with user feedback captured from feedback loops through presentations and POD-tests
Strategy must be done before moving towards creative direction
Design metrics early to focus on user & product/growth goals
Make sure to source the right talent
Find subject experts
Any tool, even spreadsheets, can be used to prototype an experience
Using summits and events to connect with the audience
TOV and messaging that match members search intent for increase organic search and click through optimization
Working on physical and online products requires creativity and continuous iteration
Hardware & software play completely different time scales and processes but coordination is possible with effort